Introducing a new series called "Five Rules," in which I ask others to share their five rules for life.
Rachel Adler is the beauty director at Beauty High and boasts the most incredible natural blonde mane this side of Scandinavia. She's also a total delight and one of my favorite beauty colleagues in the industry. So much so that I forgive her for making me be the one to demonstrate the Beachwaver live on QVC without a mirror. Just kidding, Rachel. I hit her up to share her Five Rules. Check it below, in Rachel's words.
1. Never leave your house without nail polish on your toes. Maybe I'm just crazy, but toes are gross, even perfectly pedicured ones. Even if you plan on wearing socks to cover up your non-painted tootsies, you might have some freak accident (God forbid) and have to take off your shoes and socks and show the cute doctor your feet -- always be prepared for these things!!
2. Remember the manners that your parents taught you. It's crazy how far a simple "please" and "thank you" can get you during the day (especially in a big city) and it's actually quite sad how few people are polite these days. Maybe it's my Midwestern roots, but manners are HUGE. If you can't thank me for holding a door open for you (because men don't do it anymore, really) or say please when asking a favor, why should I want to help? It's simple common courtesy people.
3. Always look for the positive side of things. I guess you could say I'm a "glass half full" person, but I'm not sure how pessimists get through life. This one seems like common sense -- if you're having a shitty day, wouldn't you WANT to look for something good in it to cheer you up? For example, a friend recently suffered a bout of food poisoning. Luckily, we realized that now she won't have to do a pre-fashion week cleanse. See how positive that was?
4. Eat junk food. I understand being healthy and being fit. But, I don't understand not allowing yourself to enjoy the small pleasures in life, like dark chocolate or Sour Patch Kids. Splurge every once in awhile when you deserve it. No diet is complete without just a small scoop of ice cream on side.
5. Embrace color. A lot of people swear by a closet of black and gray (I was one of them) and it's a pretty easy thing to do -- you basically never go out of style. But it's crazy how mixing bright colors into your wardrobe can not only make what you're wearing more fun but it often brightens your mood. Even if you can't commit to buying an entire piece of bright clothing, then just try a bright lip!
Thanks, Rachel! Stay tuned for more Five Rules!
Like this post? Don't miss another one! Subscribe via my RSS feed.